It’s hard to believe that such a pretty plant could be so toxic to our cats.
Many people don’t realize how toxic. The Easter, Tiger, Asiatic, Stargazer, Japanese and Day Lilies can cause kidney failure if the cat eats the smallest amount of the flower or leaves.
It’s not a good idea to have lilies in the garden, but cats also come in contact with them in the home. Many people like to have the Easter lily in their home this time of year. If your cats are like mine, they are curious about new things and would most likely chew on the plant. They may be tempted to drink from the vase of cut lilies or a bouquet. The water is just as toxic as the plant.
Even if you keep the plant out of reach, your cat may come in contact with the pollen which is also toxic.
If you suspect your cat has eaten a piece of the plant or they are showing signs of vomiting, drooling, loss of appetite or dehydration, get them to the vet right away.
If your cat has only recently ingested the plant material and has still not vomited, your veterinarian will try to induce vomiting. Activated charcoal will be given orally to absorb any toxin that might remain in the gut. The key to survival is high volumes of fluids given intravenously (IV) to try and prevent dehydration and the kidneys shutting down. The fluids will be given for 1 to 2 days, while monitoring your cat’s kidneys as well as urine output. Lack of urine production is a sign that the treatment was unsuccessful.
We don’t have to go without beautiful flowers in the garden and home. There are many non toxic plants we can enjoy while keeping our cats safe.